Many philosophers and great educators have defined education since the beginning of time. One notable quote is that of the American philosopher and educator, John Dewey, and he said, “Education is not preparation for life; education is life itself.” How does this go on with today’s seeming definition of education? Here are some significant points:
- Education helps in spreading knowledge in society. The United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals Agenda for 2030 states that “Education is a human right and a force for sustainable development and peace.” Education here is imperative in empowering people with knowledge, skills, and values. This is perhaps the most noteworthy aspect of education in which quick propagation of knowledge enables people to be empowered. A society that is equipped with the correct knowledge, proper skills, and ethical values have the best chances to live and survive in this challenging world. Empowered people are productive, they can get jobs or start businesses and even make decisions that could contribute to the community.
- The teaching-learning process in education continues to evolve. There have been rapid changes in the world which include changes in education. With the new breed of learners who have different learning styles and varying learning backgrounds compared to previous generations, teachers need to adapt the teaching-learning process to cater the needs of today’s generation. There have been multiple teaching innovations and strategies on how knowledge can be transferred and gained effectively.
- Education is an eye-opener for social issues. Education is very important and highly valued in today’s society. It is also necessary for success in life. It is a means to provide students with the ample knowledge of social awareness to address problems in our society. Education teaches learners on how to be aware of the problem, identify the problem, and provide solutions to the problem.
- Education plays a vital role in the fight against epidemic. The threat of COVID-19 is still present in these times. The battle against it can be fought through education. A population that has the knowledge about the threat can learn how to protect oneself from being infected with the virus. The educational system has a greater linkage to the population compared to any other governmental institution. Learners and parents can be informed well through educational campaigns.
- Education improves livelihood. Individuals who are learned and educated have greater opportunities for a better livelihood. They can have an opportunity to thrive which might result to having higher incomes, a sense of identity, social status, and the means to produce and distribute resources and services. A society with individuals who have better social class tends to have better environment.
Through the ever-changing time, education should be considered of great importance for its significant impact not only with one’s knowledge, skills and attitude but also to the society. Thus, education needs not only to be seen as a preparation for life; it is life itself.